
Note: My dad playing bongo drums in the background. 'Baby' the leopard stuffed toy - Ruby's favourite ('Isn't he beautiful?' she often says). My happy-face cupcake (we made them - I did all the hard stuff though).
My favourite interaction of the weekend:
Ruby (3 year old nibling): Is Dav....vin your husband?
Me: No, David is my brother - like Finn is your brother.
Ruby: So who's your husband?
Me: I don't have one.
Ruby: Why not?
Me: I'm too young.
Ruby: [disbelieving look - had she continued in this vein I would have insisted I was 11 years old, even if she cried tears of frustration]
We kept playing her free Happy Meal computer game after that (though she was rubbish at it - could only press one direction button - I was awesome).
* * *
Back to 80 friends. She reappeared magically. Phew.
2 comments:
Kids can be so...
...well, for me, its an interesting reflection on how kids are still indoctrinated into the 'how it should be' world of love, then marriage, then kids. Despite amazing social progress in the last decades, some things are just ingrained in the preschool psyche.
My niblings asked similar questions. My nephew went down a train of thought that if I wasn't married then I didn't love anyone - and that if I didn't love anyone, I must hate everyone.
But they also asked if I was too young to get married. Bless 'em...
When I was a preschooler and my cousin turned 20, apparently I asked "so who's she marrying?" That might be a clue to ingrainedness in the preschool psyche: if what they see of adults is married-with-kids, then they may well take "married" and "adult" as synonymous. Kinda like a couple I know where he's got long hair and she's got short hair - so their preschooler deduced that all women have short hair and all men have long hair, and that's how you tell them apart.
Small children haven't mastered formal logic.
Post a Comment