Pet Peeve #4
.... when people ask you question like, 'Hey, what are you doing on Saturday morning?' and you think they're going to suggest doing something fun, so you say, 'Nothing at the moment....'
Then they ask you for a favour, which is something you probably don't actually want to do, let alone on Saturday morning.
It's a very passive-aggressive (or maybe aggressive-aggressive) way to ask for a favour.
And it's an anti-climax.
It's happened to me twice in the last week and it annoyed me both times. If you want something, why not ask straight up? I don't like being tricked!
I must remember to, in the future, answer such leading questions with 'Why?' rather than 'Nothing...'. Caginess has its place.
1 comment:
My mum always starts conversations like that with "I thought you might like to..." as in "I thought you might like to come round and change all my clocks over for daylight saving/help me change all the sheets on my beds/paint my fence/clean out the shed".
Yeah Mum, I'd LOVE to! SO glad you offered me the opportunity... Sheesh.
Post a Comment