My Media class was doing work on demographics today, so I had a bunch of general categories and they had to wander around the class getting quantitative data from each other.
Nobody opted to do 'Political Views', so I grabbed that one.
I asked:
1. What party would you vote for if there was an election now?
2. Do you know who the MP for the region you live in is?
3. Do you prefer Barrack Obama, John Key or neither?
The results surprised me. In a class of about 24 only one kid said she would vote for National (and her reasoning was, '... because I like blue.') and a few went for Green, one for the Pacific Island party (if there is one), a few had no opinion and the rest were for Labour, rather resoundingly.
Gives me hope for our country's future! The youth are smart.
Quite a few didn't know for sure who their MP was - they often knew the first name or thought it was Kerry Prendegast ('cause my dad's always talking about her').
And all but one preferred Barrack (that one lone girl thinks John's cute). That was not at all surprising.
I guess I teach in a district that is a Labour strong-hold of late (Rongotai/Central Wellington) and Media Studies kids tend to be a bit radical - the Young Nats are probably doing Accounting and Economics (proper subjects).
Anyhow..... it made me proud. Good kids! (Not that I told them that - my survey was totally unbiased and for audience profiling only.)
2 comments:
Umm, Obama vs Key is a seriously loaded question. I wouldn't draw any kind of conclusion from it at all.
Oh - I know :) This was a survey I thought up in 10 seconds because I was bored and wanted to join in (once the kids were starting to circulate). I think it would have been a much different result if it had been last year and I'd asked if they preferred Bush to Helen though. So it does say something (though perhaps more about Barrack's appeal than anything to do with little John).
Post a Comment