Pearl Jam makes me remember certain feelings. I like Pearl Jam.
I think I listened to it back when I was idealistic and falling in love for the first time. So songs like 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' give me pangs of .... something. They mostly make me miss how young I was. My cynicism hadn't kicked in yet.
Freakin' lovely song, though. Bless the magic of YouTube for bringing it back to me.
It's the kinda song they'd play in the final scene of a cheesy 80s movie, where the guy runs across town in the rain and yells in front of the girl's house, and she looks out the window and he climbs up the to her window, and they kiss (after some misunderstanding where they broke up 3/4 of the way through the film). That kinda cheesy good song.
I will now go back to looking for Pearl Jam songs that I can play on my uke. Damned Pearl Jam fans seem to prefer writing over-complicated tabs, rather than just writing down what chords I need to play (and avoiding E chords, cause that's the hardest one to do on a uke).
And before anyone gets geeky on me, yes, I know it's a song they merely covered, and that Hunters and Collectors have also wrote it . [edited for music geeks]
* * *
I do believe I outscored Jon at a ratio of 2:1 at Frisbee tonight, as he filled in for my team. That's TWO points for every ONE he caught. That may mean I am twice as valuable.
* * *
Evidently, putting two disprins into a beer makes it fizz up quite a lot.... and doesn't taste good either. But Michelle drank it anyhow! Trooper. She was looking a little worse for wear afterwards. But she's still alive (I checked the next day).
* * *
I like 'How I Met Your Mother'. I've only ever had a mild liking for it, as a Sunday afternoon kinda show. But, damnit, it's better than that! It deserves a 7.30pm Wednesday slot.
Barney (Doogie Howser) is awesome. I'm not a Robin fan, frankly. She's annoying and doesn't deserve the main guy (who's name I can't remember right now). And I would marry Marshall in a heart-beat. And Lilly is pretty cool, though I'm seeing a type-cast thing going on for her.
* * *
I'm experimenting with purple a little this season. I'm usually not a big purple fan (there have been long periods of time where my wardrobe has been purple-free and proud of it), but it's very 'in' this season, so there's a lot of it around. I'm liking the darker, grape-ish, shades and the ones that look like various other berries.
Got a long-sleeved purpley-red top today that has a little cashmere in it. I think it'll be in the rotation for a while. Goes well under cardigans. I'm all about cardigans, have been ever since I got one at a second-hand-store in my first term at uni.
I have never found the perfect black cardigan, though. I am still looking. Essential wardrobe item.
I have a great blue-black cardigan at the moment, and a good dark-grey one. And a sage-green one I like, and a good purple-grey one.
5 comments:
As a late aside, 'nostalgia' is the word I find myself most often having to explain the meaning of to kids.
Tricky concept to explain, but it comes up surprisingly often when you're studying literature and films and whatnot. Probably not so much for maths teachers.
Sorry, but I need to get geeky on you.
'Throw Your Arms Around Me'is a Hunters & Collectors song... not a song they have covered.
I do agree it is a freakin' lovely song.
Jon also passed for three points to your none, making Jon infinity times more valuable than you.
Also, Jon's point was AWESOME, because it came when he hand blocked a pass and caught the resulting deflection in the zone. That's called a Callahan, and only AWESOME people like Jon can do them (it was my second Callahan of the season).
And you don't mention that Jon was the one who lent you How I Met Your Mother.
I will now cease speaking of myself in the third person.
'Throw your arms around me' was written by Hunters and Collectors, and more or less became one of their signature songs. Due to the brother of one of H+C's members being in Crowded House, that band also frequently performed the song live. Eddie Vedders association with the Finn brothers gets the song to Pearl Jam, who have also been known to perform the song live.
Jon is a weiner. I do like that there's a move called a 'Callahan'. I think someone on the other team did one of those in this week's game.
Sam is a music geek.
Post a Comment