So we'd gone for a walk around the retirement home. It was in the middle of the countryside, which is a whole other story (given that Dad had looked on Google-maps and decided it was only two blocks from where we were staying in town, without a car).Dad sat on the bench by the driveway. He rested his cane beside him and fiddled around with the calliper on his leg (having walked there the night before, he'd gotten bleeding blisters on the soles of his foot).
I was standing on the other side of the driveway taking photos.
We were expecting my grandma's sister and her daughter to arrive that afternoon, so Dad was keeping a vague eye out for them. He saw a car drive up with a vaguely red-headed lady driving it. It drove into the O'Conor home, right past him.
So Dad gave them a familiar wave, sure it was Aunty Olga finally arriving. They kinda slowed down and then drove on.
I said to him, 'You know that wasn't them, eh? The girl in the front looked about 30 years too young....' And then I had to laugh, 'cause sitting there in front of the retirement home, with his cane, he just looked like some senile old man out for his daily walk around the home..... sitting there waving at random cars...... One of the local 'characters'.
I teased him all afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment