Monday, March 24, 2008

Wedding II

Yesterday I journeyed to Levin for my second wedding of the year. This one was for my school friends, Louise and Clinton. It is a cliche, but the bride looked her best (all glowing and stuff). Both Lou and Cass looked radiant on their big days. And Clint and Lou were both just smiling all day.

So that was nice.

I was a bit of a loner at the reception. At the actual ceremony I had run into an old school friend, Merv, who was crashing. But he scarpered fairly quickly afterwards. So, at the reception I was having to sidle up to people I went to school with but barely knew. I crashed an entire family grouping. I stood trying to be discreet, sipping my champagne and keeping an eye out for fancy snacks being passed around. Unluckily for me there were huge delays due to gas ovens not working, and we had to all stand in the lobby for a good hour beforehand. I was all mingled out by then!

I was really the only one from 'our' group of friends at school there. The others were from Clint's 'other' group of friends - the outsiders. I guess he was a geeky-rebel at school, so these varied social groups reflect that.

Anyhow, I was seated at Table 8. It was the equivalent of the kids' table (since it was a no-children reception). It was me, some cousins and the brother of Louise and three young optometrists she had gone to school with. Though, it was rather thoughtful that she had placed me between her brother (who I know through basketball) and a guy who I'd been in a class with at intermediate (though, not spoken to since).

I made the small talk and once I'd had a few wines it was fairly easy to gab on to Simon about all kinds of trivial details. He lives in Wellington, but commutes a few days to work in Levin at the optimitrest there. I would say if there was a bad boy of optometry, it would be him.

Though we were the kids' table, we drank barely any of the wine! I had about 2/3s of a bottle, but the other two bottles were barely touched. That's what happens when you're an optometrist or young married peoples, I assume.

It was one of those ocassions where I felt very conspicuously alone. Surrounded by couples. I mentioned Marty a couple of times in conversation with one of the young optomitrests, so they would know I was not the desperate single girl at the wedding (not this time, at least). As the flow of conversation would have it, the two times he came up were about his penchant for watching wrestling and how he requested Vanilla Ice at the last wedding I was at. I think that made them feel even more sorry for me........

Anyhow.

I have very sore wisdom teeth. Both my bottom ones are coming through in a very uncomfortable way. They have been coming through in bits for years, causing only minor pain. But this time..... OWWW! The last three nights I've woken up with a throbbing jaw and the whole of my mouth has hurt. I got up at 3.30am last night and raided Dad's house for pain killers. I found a whole cupboard of drugs.... but I feared they were too strong for me (Lynne has chronic pain) and I didn't recognise any names except Voltarin. So I took one of those, hoping it wasn't some super-drug version that would have weird side effects on me, and a couple of Panadols. That helped. And I slept with my head propped up on three pillows since it didn't seem to like blood rushing into it.

Anyhow, I'm using Bonjela, like the babies do. It's good stuff.

Back to the wedding. I had to cut everything into tiny little pieces to eat it, since my mouth is not opening wide due to widom tooth swelling. And then I'd wince when I went to chew it. So it may have looked like I was hating it.... but quite the opposite, it was really nice food. I had the honey-glazed salmon on some yummy rissotto concoction. Then we got a selection of little baby-deserts that were all yummy. And the wedding cake was chocolate. Mmmm!

Anyhow. My teeth hurt. I'm off.

And my spell-checker is not working..... so excuse any errors!

2 comments:

d3vo said...

I can recommend getting the teeth yanked. Worked a treat for me. Only tip is that you need someone to get your pain relief so that when you wake up from two hours on the slab and the corners of your mouth are torn that you have a nice ride home.

Not Kate said...

I've heard about this mouth-tearing business. I have added it to my reasons-to-not-go-to-the-dentist list.