Monday, January 01, 2007

In addition....

I have just had the post-mortem with Ange. Apparently I was not alone in thinking I was very drunk last night. Most times I'm very drunk I think I manage to maintain a certain level of decorum, and even if other people say I was mildly obnoxious, I manage to steadfastly refuse to listen to them. I have solid (potentially bordering on delusional) self-belief in my a ability to hold my liquor.

But this time..... I may have been embarrassingly drunk for almost the first time ever! Ange was telling me things I said/did and I was saying, 'No! I wouldn't do that.... You're making it up!' But she swears it's true - and I have snippets of memories that back that up.

The worst thing was that at one stage I was rating everyone in the group out of ten. To their faces. Harshly! I told one guy he was 'A six - wait, maybe a four'. I'm sure there was a context, or I was kidding .... or something. I was a bit mortified on hearing that! Oopsy.

And Ange had secretly mustered a bunch of guys to 'look after' me all night, because I was the burdensome drunk girl in the group. Oopsy. All night I just thought I was really popular and charming because people kept hanging out with me..... I didn't realise that's why it was happening....

All I can say is those must've been some damned powerful Red Bull and vodkas I started on! Ange says I was a 'weird kind of drunk' - I wasn't making sense at all.

In an attempt to make me stop cringing Ange found one bright spot. I didn't send any embarrassing texts. I didn't even think of it, to tell you the truth. That is most excellent. And potential-rebound-guy texted me happy new years, and all I said in return was 'You too'. I think that's all I could manage to spell at that point. Good thing.

* * *

Oh, and I didn't vomit or fall over! So how bad could it really have been??? And I didn't get alcohol poisoning on New Years.... Only a real amateur would do that [ahem, Cassie].

* * *

Another post-script - I texted my random texter 'Suhail' back and asked if he/she was the daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. They didn't get it. Mustn't be someone I know. People I know 'get it'. Or perhaps it seemed funnier in my drunken head ........

4 comments:

Off-Black said...

We all can have benders occasionally, the trick is not to do it all the time.
The red bull/vodka thing is the reason I don't drink spirits or cocktails. To easy to get beyond- redemption-out-of-it too quickly.

There are times when I have actively contemplated giving up drinking altogether.

Not Kate said...

Yes, the next day is often I time I consider giving it up. In my old age I don't drink too often though. It's a novelty.

Andrew said...

If it makes you feel better, at least it made for an amusing post...

Not Kate said...

Me and Curly-haired Nicky have always lived by a similar motto. Often in the middle of excruciating experiences we consciously think '... at least it'll make a funny story later!' and it helps us get through them.

I thought that in the middle of a particularly bad haircut a couple of years ago. The KD Cut as Nicky called it (it was very short and dykish) - it garnered me a lot of laughs later on.