I have never tooted my horn at anyone (except one time someone cut in front of me at the supermarket and Cassie was in the passenger seat and reached across and did it for me.... I was mortified and said, 'Cass - I don't toot!'). But I understood the mentally of getting road rage after a tiny incident on my beloved State Highway 1.
* * *
I had purposely waited until Monday afternoon to drive home, thinking the weekend traffic might have thinned out with people returning to the first day back at work. It hadn't really.
The whole way my little Silver Mazda Familia was part of a long snake of traffic, moving at a frustrating 90ks with no real sign of break-away chances in sight. I didn't bother trying to overtake anyone until I got past Paraparaumu. There was a camper-van in front of me most of the early part of the journey, but to its credit it wasn't holding anything up.
This is when I got angry whilst driving home from LVN. I had just been through both sets of lights in Waikanae and was at the point where the two lanes merge back into one. I was letting a second camper-van from the other lane go in front of me (as you do - one from each lane, having turns), and was leaving a little room for it, but obviously not enough for two cars to jump in front of me.... (on a day of slow traffic why would I want to do that?).
I was already resenting all the traffic that had gone in the right-hand-lane - it looked like all the impatient drivers and they were just trying to sneak a few places in front of me.
When the car behind the camper-van accelerated and decided to push in.... at which point I accelerated too, thinking 'Oh no you don't, cheeky bugger!'... at which point he accelerated more. I had to let him go in front or crash into him.
I said many expletives very loudly and gave the back of his car the evils for a long time. It went something like this, 'Merge like a zip, you stupid f*****!' Even one of my struggling sixth form students in English had understood the concept (and had the nouse to point out it is a simile).
I caught up with him at the Paraparaumu lights (fat lot of good his pushy driving had done for him!). I peered across to see who this inconsiderate b******* was. It was a normal looking man in his 40s, with what looked like two young daughters in the car.
It irks me that a normal looking person made me angry while driving. He ruined the mood of my Paul Simon Anthology CD. I see driving on the highway in times of thick traffic as a kind of team sport - like that road racing they do on bicycles. If you are the lead car you should do your job of keeping a good pace, and then drop off if someone else could do it better or you're holding up the team..... I like the comradery of it. We should all be resigned to being in it together. It's not any one car's fault that we're not doing 100ks. So passing any one car isn't going to achieve much. It strikes me as arrogance. It turns the group activity into a competitive one where every car is out for themself.
Mr Green Car ruined my team spirit.
5 comments:
Nothing more annoys me on the road, than people who just don't know how to drive properly. Was the man in his 40's wearing a hat.....you have to watch older men in hats especially!
Driving is a team sport, except that all the other players cannot be trusted to be predictable or intelligent.
Yielding was the right thing to do, it isn't worth your time, stress and cash.
I've been driving on the open road for nearly 14 years now, and still get amazed and terrified by the risks some people are prepared to take to get to their destination a few seconds earlier.
I take a perverse pride in catching speeding drivers at the lights.
I often use the right hand lane at Waikanae to pass slower traffic. If it works it is a good tactic, but sometimes it doesn't, and thems the breaks. I don't push it by trying to sneak into gaps that aren't there.
I got a sort-of grim satisfaction in the pre-christmas traffic that the guy who nearly ran me off the road merging (above the speed limit) from behind at the merging lane before Pukerua Bay then got stuck in front of me but behind the old granny driving at 40 in a 70 zone *alll* the way to Paraparaumu...
That's great! I like it when speedsters get their comeuppance.
Nicky-with-curly-hair used to always slow down to 40ks when anyone tailgated her. She infuriated them!
Same. When tailgated my speedo magically glues itself to the speed limit.
I also try and corner smoothly and quickly when being tailgated (often quicker than the tail gater) to show that while I could go faster, I choose not to.
Funny the head games that go on at times like these.
Post a Comment