Sunday, August 24, 2014
Say it with flowers
To 'Hide Your Love Away' cover by Pearl Jam.
At work the other day we had a special ceremony to honour staff who have been at our school for ten or more years.
I think many of us felt a little conspicuous, as the current seems to be running against valuing long-term employees. Some teachers saw this as a bit of an equivalent to a gold watch or hint to get on with it.
But it was nice.
Undeniably, the nicest bits were these
- there were staff from very different parts of the school recognised (including a cleaner, the tea-lady, a teacher aide and a couple of grounds-keepers)
- seeing a guy well over six feet tall standing up there with a bunch of flowers was a nice moment; I did wonder if he's ever been given flowers before
- there were standing ovations for the teachers who had been here over 30 years; I know that they often feel self-conscious about this so it was nice to put it in a positive light
- the 40+ years teacher was so taken aback by the standing ovation that she had tears in her eyes; it is certainly nice to feel appreciated
I just really like the demographic of kids and families at our school and every few years I get given really great opportunities, so the thought of starting at a new school back at zero seems very daunting (especially now that I have a mortgage). I like having strong institutional knowledge. I don't think our school is perfect, but then I don't think any school is likely to be perfect. People are fallible and National is in power. Ours does pretty well though.
Anyway, I got a big bunch of flowers out of it. So big I have had to separate it into two vases at home.
The only travesty was really that a colleague of mine didn't get recognised. She has been there 16 years, but had a break of two years in the middle (where she went and did a couple of other jobs, then came back). I doubt anybody else was in that same boat, but they decided to draw the line at having to have been here in ten consecutive years to get honoured. Seemed a bit petty.
To 'Shortnin' Bread' by Mississippi John Hurt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment