Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I'm a pretty smart person.  But sometimes (oftentimes) dating makes me feel dumb.

Most things that you're bad at, you can resolve to get better at by practising.  And most things you can whittle away at in private until you're happy to share them with the world, like when kids cover their work with their hand until they're ready to show you.  Dating you can't practise privately.  Or casually with friends, for that matter.

How frustrating.

Or maybe he's an idiot.  Who knows.

* * *

I just learnt Fulsom Prison Blues on the uke.  Nice.

* * *

There is something nice about going to leaving drinks.  We had some at work for a guy retiring.  I think as the accountant you're never going to be the most popular guy on staff, having to be the 'no-man' to all the crazy teachers.  But it was nice how many people were there and he spoke a little about his philosophy about how he did the job and it was nice.  He said his bottom line was 'Does it benefit the students?' and if it did, he'd fund it. 

On the flip-side, I guess the staff to sometimes feel that things generally aren't done just for their benefit.  Which could be short-sighted.  Hmm.

Anyway, it's a nice thing.  It makes me link to more ancient times when ceremonies were more overt in what they were doing and why.  I think the leaving do is a valuable ceremony for closure and a community tightening around a person and then letting them go, but gently.  Like pushing them off from the shore in a little boat.  Then standing back and waving.  Go well!

* * *

I watched Season 3 of Game of Thrones.  Golly.  It's still good.  It has bad baddies and good goodies.  Flawed goodies, but good ones.  The flaws are good.  I knew there was an 'oh-my-gosh' episode.  And I felt it coming.  But I couldn't stop it .... and I didn't quite anticipate what it would be.  It as just that ominous feeling that nothing ever quite goes this smoothly for the goodies....something must be awry.....

* * *

I went for another walk/jog today.  I think I'm up to doing a 6km path and jogging about half of it.  I am sure it is a very inelegant, red-faced, on-the-verge-of-collapse, looking jog..... but my will power is good!  My body is just not designed for such things - not terribly stream-lined. 

And I played basketball this week for the first time since December.  That was fun.  Really fun.  My team is great - all the oldies and goodies from past teams with nobody new that rocks the boat or holds us back.  We're one of those teams that are all a bit old and injured and we laugh at our mistakes, but deep down we're all competitive and have some skills.  So we can pull wins out against a lot of teams better than us on paper. 

My tendon felt a little sore and gave the old jolt, but on the whole held up well and didn't make me not do anything.  That's the main thing.  I think I've pushed it a bit hard this week and it has been fairly constantly achey, but doesn't feel like re-injuring.  And I feel as mobile as before I hurt it.

* * *

Going to my first Film Fest outing soon.  Fun!  Thanks, Rich. 

No comments: