So I'm female-frisbee MVP three weeks running. I don't care that there aren't many girls on the team or that my students may have given it to me out of fear/loyalty this week...... I'm expecting some kind of giant cup at the end of the season. GIANT!
Kyle has started calling me 'The Glacier' due to my preference to not move quickly on field. Jon also said today, in response to me saying I 'ran fast' at one point, that he would 'pay to see that'. They're all just jealous that they're not three-time-MVPs...... I am fast like lightening.
* * *
I have stopped grooming my hair this week. No straightening. Going to bed with it wet, so I wake up and it's CRAZILY going in all different directions. I might look a bit hobo-ish. It's just gotten so long and split-ended that it's gross, and frankly there's nobody I'm trying to impress at the moment! I'm getting it cut this weekend and then it will be shiny and new and I will regain my interest in grooming.....
Just explaining, in case anyone had noted that I look somewhat haggard. I think it sticks out in odd directions when I put it in a ponytail too.... And it's only just gotten long enough to do that, and I'm gonna whack it all shorter again.
To get a fringe or not to get a fringe, that is the question.
* * *
The censorship discussion continued for a while on my students' blog-site. One of them brought up the case of her creative-writing being challenged for having the word 'crap' in it, by the Min of Education who were putting it in a resource for schools. She made the point that putting something like 'baloney' in there instead would make the story not sound like a genuine teenage voice anymore.
I agree.
But I had to secretly take glee in the fact that I have been editing school magazine articles, and replacing low-level swearwords like that with silly alternatives, which will sound funny coming from them.... like 'jolly' and 'blimin'..... The power goes to my head! One of the kids asked if she could add a middle initial to her name, 'E', at the bottom of her article. I let her, because that reminded me of the kid from the MAD Magazines. What was it - Edward E Neuman?
* * *
I went to Simply Paris for lunch today (between mad-cap magazine crisises). It was civilised. I imagine that's what 'normal' people (non-teachers) do most days..... I had a salmon panini, mocha (with a chocolate covered coffee bean) and an almond croissant (to go).
* * *
I took my book to work today, thinking optimistically that I might sit down and read it at lunch-time (I had pictured a more leisurely day than I eneded up having - what with 80 pages of proofing arriving, which I had promised I could do within the day it arrived, thinking it would arrive in smaller chunks).
It is very very fat and looked impressive sitting on my desk. It made me look in-tell-ec-tu-al. I feel like a kid I taught once, who was barely literate, but insisted on picking the fattest book in the school libarary, then pretending she'd read it (to impress me, though I didn't believe her for a second). It's so fat it would make a good door-stop, or brick. My HOD saw it and asked if she could borrow it after me, then she remembered I'm not a fast reader and said she might just go ahead and buy her own copy..... I have so far read 54 pages out of 738. I'm not even up to the bit about the Columbine killings, which is what triggers the main aftermath and trauma plot.....
I might wear my 'smart-glasses' when I finally get time to read it in my lunch-hour. Though, one of the lenses has fallen out, which somewhat detracts from my smart-fascade.
2 comments:
Is Lightening like Lightning? How quick can you lighten something?
Damnit. I always spell it like that. It is my spelling nemesis word.
Post a Comment