Monday, June 04, 2012

My nana died today.  Grandma died at the end of last term.

Strange how they both died within a couple of months of each other.  Grandma was four years younger, at a mere 92 years old.

Nana had been quite disoriented for a while, not always recognising visitors and fixating on certain childhood memories.  Dad says the last time he saw her she was not really looking like herself.

Now I'm down two direct relatives.  Just Dad and David.

I think my enduring memory of Nana will be her standing outside her house, right on the top of the Maungaraki hills, pulling her cardigan tight against the wind, and waving until we'd driven off.  Tiny little lady with white hair.

2 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

sad news. sounds like a good choice of enduring memory.

Off-Black said...

I meant to say this before, but stink. From what you have written about her here and previous she sounds cool.