There was no reading of books.
Instead, I watched The History Boys on DVD with my flatmates. We liked it. I thought it was an interesting take of a few things. I found the teacher in me quite in conflict with the rather sensitive portrayal of Hector feeling up his students and the teacher agreeing to go for 'a drink' with his student at the end.
Maybe I'm just a prude. I don't really like any films that portray a romantic relationship between student and teacher (at high school age, anyhow). The power dynamics are just all wrong. And having taught teens for years now, I just fail to see them as emotional equals. So the dynamics are just all wrong. Very wrong. Makes me totally unsympathetic to the teacher-character.
2 comments:
Yes, I am totally with you on this, Kate. I saw HB at the last festival and got really annoyed at the way that the dodgy teacher antics were condoned. And increasingly, I find myself getting really annoyed at people who do dodgy things with students. It's not ok!!!!
Remind me never to show you my Cold Night screenplay.
Post a Comment