Thursday, February 25, 2010

Super Powers

I was using MSN Messenger the other day, and I remembered that I am 'invisible' to some people on there.

And I thought, 'Hmph - looks like I've achieved that childhood dream.'

Then I got to thinking, what other super power did I want to have? Maybe the ability to fly. Well, GoogleEarth has kinda covered that fantasy too with its birds-eye shots.

More-so with the desire to be invisible, the internet really has hooked into that fascination society has. There is a delectable array of ways in which you can be nosy and voyeuristic. A massive amount of time is spent observing things, but without being a part of them. We can find out the intimate details of people's lives, without ever having to look them in the eye. We can flip through their photo albums, watch videos of them, read their thoughs, all without them consciously knowing we're there and doing it.

That anonymity and invisibility is a big part of what I like about the internet. I can choose when people see me, I can choose to tip-toe through un-noticed. I can find out all about someone else without them knowing anything about me. They can't hide.

Of course, I leave my electronic footprints and fingerprints, just like a real invisible person might. But it's still pretty neat.

I'm going to think more on what other traditional super powers the internet is accessing for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i found it!...and i am exercising my right to remain anonymous as i tip-toe through your blog.

Not Kate said...

I wasn't aware you were looking for it.