I watched her jump off the couch many different ways, exclaiming how clever she was each time. I helped her brush her teeth and watched a bit of an Ariel cartoon with her in bed.
I slept on the couch in the room with the presents. So at about 6.30am I started seeing the bigger kids peering in through the door. They whispered about Santa's handwriting, and the older kid said to her brother, 'Look at it next to the others - you don't think they're the same?' and her brother earnestly said, 'No.' Cute. Their mum reckons they're at the age where they don't actually believe anymore, but they don't want to admit it.
The little one opened all her toys and said, 'Just what I wanted!' to each one. I like that she was the most excited by the giant lollypop she got, which her mum had told me the night before was the one thing she had really asked for. I then spent ages getting new dolls out of their packaging - it's not easy!
Then other bits of the family arrived. And the eating began.
My brother liked his giant box of beef jerky (24 packs). I knew he would. I quietly agreed to buy the Whitcoull's voucher someone gave him off him (last time he bought something at a book-shop is when he used to read GI Joe comics at primary school).
I have a nice family. Everyone had a good time and nobody complained. The kids all played together well (though the two 4 year old cousins somehow got into a bunch of paints in the shed and came out red-handed, with splatters and smears all over their new clothes - from what their parents said to them afterwards, I'm guessing at that age the concept of only painting on paper is still in need of reinforcing).

* * *
Boxing day, I casually decided to go to the sales out at Lyall Bay. I was just noting to myself that the streets were eerily empty on the way out there, right up until I was half-way down the road from the complex... when I saw car carnage.
There were queues of cars waiting to just drive into the parking lot... after circling the lot three times unsuccessfully and being on the verge of either an anxiety attack (because I was almost trapped in the grid-lock) or road-rage, I figured a wee walk in the ocean air was less stressful than getting carpark-rage.
I got some grown-up things - two new sets of sheets (Egyptian cotton high thread count, of course), a new ironing board (mine had had a lump in the middle of it since I took it home from the shop in the bus) and a lint brush. Lint brushes are amazing! I can't believe I've never had one before. My life has now changed forever - I can't believe what a lint covered slob I have been all this time. The shame.
I spent the afternoon watching stuff I'd taped on My-Sky (we just got it last week - so the novelty of it has not worn off) and giving myself a foot-spa (a present from last Christmas that I figured I should give a go finally). I now understand why they include the fluffy white slippers in the pack - it is exactly what your feet feel like wearing after they're pampered.
My secret pleasure at the moment is watching 'Shear Genius', a reality show where hairdressers get pitted against each other in weird challenges. In today's episode they firstly had to do the Meg-Ryan-shag on a mannequin's head, then they had to use house-hold items to cut hair (one lady had a massive set of hedge-clippers, but actually did a decent job).
2 comments:
yay for a lovely family Christmas!
We have not goe near the boxing day sales - you are much braver than I!
I was naive. Got good new sheets at 60% off though!
Post a Comment