[photo irrelevant to first part of post]
That nobody is perfect.
I have realised this about bosses (realised it about my parents years ago). Facades have crumbled all around me!
I have been at a workplace long enough to see a total change in management. There seem to be two types of people who have these jobs - the charismatic and decisive ones who don't follow through and like to pass the buck and the methodical but over-consulting ones who are afraid of taking firm stands on things.
While people heavily critique the current management for whatever flaw they have, as soon as they get replaced, the same people will miss them and wish the new ones had their strengths (forgetting about the weaknesses).
It's an interesting thing to observe.
I just try and do my job as autonomously as possible and remember that weaknesses are often complemented by strengths and vice versa.
For example, I am 'disorganised' (though I could explain the method to my madness - it's more of a 'just-in-time' production technique) but I also adapt well when things don't go to plan. If I find myself in a Mexican stand-off with another teacher at the door to a computer room we both thought we booked, I can handle backing away to Plan B, rather than watch the other anally-prepared teacher begin to self-implode in the uncertainty of the moment.
Anyhow.
People of my generation are starting to be these wonderfully flawed leaders. Crap.
* * *
I was with Cassie at Count Down in the Hutt, when I came across something cool.
A basket on wheels! It's a mini-trolley that is light and handles really well, taking up hardly any space in the aisles, yet holding enough groceries for a single-lady. It's the Formula 1 trolley of the supermarket.
They are, of course, designed for the elderly, but glaciers also like to lean on things whenever possible.
Luckily I had lots of photos of Jon lying around, him being a photo-hog and all.
I have realised this about bosses (realised it about my parents years ago). Facades have crumbled all around me!
I have been at a workplace long enough to see a total change in management. There seem to be two types of people who have these jobs - the charismatic and decisive ones who don't follow through and like to pass the buck and the methodical but over-consulting ones who are afraid of taking firm stands on things.
While people heavily critique the current management for whatever flaw they have, as soon as they get replaced, the same people will miss them and wish the new ones had their strengths (forgetting about the weaknesses).
It's an interesting thing to observe.
I just try and do my job as autonomously as possible and remember that weaknesses are often complemented by strengths and vice versa.
For example, I am 'disorganised' (though I could explain the method to my madness - it's more of a 'just-in-time' production technique) but I also adapt well when things don't go to plan. If I find myself in a Mexican stand-off with another teacher at the door to a computer room we both thought we booked, I can handle backing away to Plan B, rather than watch the other anally-prepared teacher begin to self-implode in the uncertainty of the moment.
Anyhow.
People of my generation are starting to be these wonderfully flawed leaders. Crap.
* * *
I was with Cassie at Count Down in the Hutt, when I came across something cool.
A basket on wheels! It's a mini-trolley that is light and handles really well, taking up hardly any space in the aisles, yet holding enough groceries for a single-lady. It's the Formula 1 trolley of the supermarket.
They are, of course, designed for the elderly, but glaciers also like to lean on things whenever possible.
* * *
I found this website that works like a search engine, but for pictures....

I seem to often match up with Asian women (I think it's the fringe) and when I have my hair pulled back I'm a dead ring-in for an Indian man (evidently) and it sometimes confuses my hair for a helmet.
Here is Jon and his similar images (he matches up with male models, lucky bugger).
Luckily I had lots of photos of Jon lying around, him being a photo-hog and all.
* * *
I found this interesting.
I am part of a modern social phenomenon - 'Women's Creation of Camera Phone Culture'.
I found this interesting.
I am part of a modern social phenomenon - 'Women's Creation of Camera Phone Culture'.
6 comments:
the worst trait of a boss is surely micro-management. In most cases it suggests a lack of trust and respect. It does nothing for the morale of employees and usually doesn't achieve anything
True. I haven't really had one of those (not in my own chain of command - have seen them in others, maybe).
All my pics were asian!!!! what the hell. Need to find another pic.
Davy Jones!!!
Cool blog! Just checking out the blogging scene. :P :)
in my case it's mike-romanagement from the mikeosaurus who has taught this way for 30 years so why change...today he was cleaning the photocopier...4MUs right there!
Post a Comment