Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I do What I Want

... so I might do more than 100 things about me. If I am inspired. (Credit to Matt for the title - imagine it said in a Cartman voice).

MORE! ME ME ME ME ME
I've gotten past the stage of writing for an audience - so I don't mind if nobody in the world reads past here. I think that's healthy....

98) The best three bits of advice I ever got:
"Lose the fringe" - said to me in seventh form by James. I've never gone back. Anyone who's seen pictures of me at high school will agree it was good advice.
"Smile - it can't be that bad" - said to me by a homeless guy in San Francisco as I passed him in the street, when I was about 12 and having a grump about having to go to another sports shop for my brother to look at (I was being a brat).
"It doesn't get better, but it does get easier" - said to me by the father of a guy I vaguely knew at school who'd heard my mother was dying and said it while he was filling up my nana's petrol tank at Mobil, where he worked (he prefaced it with 'This probably won't mean much to you right now, but both my parents died and someone said this to me and it helped....'). So true.

99) The thing that makes me saddest in life is not feeling needed by the people who I need.

100) Any time I say something vaguely serious, I like to preface or follow it with something less serious. Like 'I think if I chose the right song and was warmed up, I could get past the first round of Kiwi Idol'.

101) I have never in my life wanted to be subbed out of a basketball game (well, maybe I did one time cause my shoulder was killing me, but my coach rubbed tiger balm on it from the sidelines and made me stay on - I was secretly flattered).

102) I used to drink Lemsip for fun and when we had a lemon tree at home, I'd make myself lemon-honey drinks for afternoon tea regardless of whether I had a cold or not.

103) Most of the best compliments I've ever had were from my brother. I credit him and my parents for me having a healthy sense of self-worth.

104) I liked to read Archie comics growing up. I liked Betty and hated Veronica. I also loved the Secret Seven, but hated the Famous Five books. I found it disturbing that a girl could be called 'George' for short.

105) Growing up I never used to wear underwear to bed with my nightie or jamies.... and only realised not all children did this when my friends noticed and laughed at me at a slumber party in about standard three. Slightly traumatising.

106) I only have one secret that I've never told anyone. It'd not deeply traumatic, but dysfunctional and embarrassing. You'd never guess it, and I wonder how many other people have done the same thing (if any).

107) I don't know why it's so embarrassing to admit to liking Phil Collins.

108) I have two tiny burns on my leg from sleeping with water bottles that were too hot (yes - I did it more than once, in close proximity too).

109) I have never been in love, but have had one or two people who were in love with me.

110) I often walk home alone in the dark, both in the city and in my home town. People telling me not to makes me even more stubborn to do it (I have been known to actually run away down the street when someone insisted on ordering a taxi for me).

111) When I'm nervous or feeling defensive at school, I start talking to my class in a posher accent. I only recently noticed. The kids probably noticed ages ago.

112) While I've been insecure about other things, I've never been insecure about my intelligence. Perhaps a factor in my getting along well with cocky people. (I stole that one from Fish - acknowledged.)

No comments: